Auditions are held twice a year, in summer and winter and must be scheduled in advance. Please fill out the form to the right to be contacted about scheduling an audition.
Current audition schedule:o Monday, June 5, 2017 - Auditions for those interested in Charlotte Symphony Chamber Singers (including those interested in BOTH Chamber Singers and the Main Charlotte Symphony Chorus).
Please note: Chamber Singer callbacks for those invited will be Tuesday, June 6.
o Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - Auditions for those interested only in Charlotte Symphony Chorus
Rehearsal InformationRehearsals take place on Tuesday evenings in the Fellowship Hall at Covenant Presbyterian Church from 6-7:20 p.m. for Chamber Singers (as well as occasional Saturday mornings) and from 7:30-10 p.m. for the Charlotte Symphony Chorus.
1. All members must be at least 18 years old and have graduated from high school at the time of audition. (For younger singers interested in singing with a choir, please ask us about our Young Artists in Residence program or contact the Charlotte Children's Choir.)
2. Attendance for all rehearsals and concerts is expected. Special arrangements must be approved by the Director of Choruses.
Annual Membership DuesAnnual membership dues for the Charlotte Symphony Chorus are $50.
Audition Requirements1. A piano‐accompanied solo of your own choice, preferably sostenuto. The purpose of this is to hear you on music with which you feel comfortable and that will illustrate the quality of your voice. An accompanist will be provided, but you should supply a copy of your music. Art songs or arias are preferred, as this repertoire demonstrates a vocalism most closely used in symphonic choral singing.
2. Sing "My Counry Tis of Thee." Can be downloaded here.
3. Read aloud the following German text: Zwar ist solche Herzensstube wohl kein schöner Fürstensaal, sondern eine finstre Grube; doch sobald dein Gnadenstrahl in dieselbe nur wird blinken, wird sie voller Sonnen dünken.
4. For range testing, the following vocal exercises may be requested: Sing exercise #1 on "ah", beginning in the middle of your range. Repeat the exercise, each time a half step higher, until you have reached the upper limit of your useful range. Please announce at the beginning in what key you are starting. Sing exercise #2 on whatever vowel you wish, starting in the middle of your range, at the same tempo as exercise #1. Repeat the exercise, each time a half step lower, until you have reached the lower limit of your useful range. Please announce at the beginning in what key you are starting.
5. Singers may also be asked to demonstrate ability in sight‐singing.